Monday, January 4, 2010

Easy Tortellini

This dish is great if you're pressed for time but want something delicious. There are a couple of variations of it but this one is the original. I dedicate this recipe to my dear friend Ami. I still remember directing you to the ingredients for this dish over the phone while you were in Safeway :) Ah, the good old days! Come to think of it, maybe I should post another one of Ami's faves, Fruit Salsa!

2 packages of Butoni tortellini, any flavor will work. I use one cheese and one chicken with mushroom.
1 shallot, sliced thin
1 container of fresh basil, roll all leaves togther and slice into thin strips (chiffonade)
1 wedge of parmesan to shave on top of pasta
Extra light olive oil
1 tsp. garlic salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. black pepper, or to taste

Saute shallots in 2 Tbsp. of oil over medium high heat in a deep saute pan for about 10 minutes. In a large pot bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and add to shallot pan. Coat with olive oil and fold in basil. Let pasta stand for 10 min on low heat. Then with a vegetable peeler, shave parmesan wedge over the pasta and serve. I like a crisp Pinot Grigio with this dish but it will hold up to your favortie red wine as well.


3 comments:

Ami said...

OH MY GOD!! I can't believe you posted this! Brian wanted me to make this last night and I could not for the life of me remember all the ingredients!! It was too late to call Iowa and ask you! You must've read my mind!! I know what I'll be making tonight! :) Thanks! Oh, and I seriously LOVE this blog!!

Love, Ami

Ami said...

Oh yeah, I have a request...since I now use your blog as my online cook book, when you post a new recipe, will you also put the name of the food in the TAG section (at the bottom of the page where you do a new post) . That way I can always easily search your blog for the recipe I'm looking for? You're my hero!

Jen said...

Can do :)